The team who run the day to day operations for the Ocean Safari Great Barrier Reef snorkelling adventure, Safari Lodge and Turtle Rock Cafe in Cape Tribulation are a multi skilled and talented bunch of friendly people, who will ensure your Cape Tribulation experience is one to remember. Our backyard is your destination and the Ocean Safari crew are as diverse as the reef itself. These guys are your link to the reef and the rainforest, two UNESCO World Heritage sites sitting side by side.
- 2022 Queensland Tourism Awards Silver Winner – Adventure Tourism
- 2019 Queensland Tourism Awards Bronze Winner – Tour and Transport Operators
- 2019 Adventure Tourism Awards Silver Winner – Best Activity in Australia
- 2019 Adventure Tourism Awards Silver Winner – Best Activity in Queensland
- 2018 Australian Tourism Awards Silver Winner – Tour and Transport Operators
- 2018 Queensland Tourism Awards Gold Winner – Tour and Transport Operators
- 2017 Queensland Tourism Awards Silver Winner – Tour and Transport Operators
- 2016 Queensland Tourism Awards Bronze Winner -The Steve Irwin Award for Ecotourism
- 2015 Australian Tourism Awards Silver Winner – Tour and Transport Operators
- 2015 Queensland Tourism Awards Gold Winner – Tour and Transport Operators
- 2014 Tropical North Queensland Tourism Awards Winner – Tour and Transport Operators
- 2013 Premier’s Sustainability Awards Finalist – Small Business
- 2013 Queensland Tourism Awards Bronze Winner – Tour and Transport Operators
Ocean Safari is proudly #1 of 10 Tours in Cape Tribulation on TripAdvisor, has a Certificate of Excellence 2022 for consistently achieving a ‘5 out of 5’ rating from guests on the daily Great Barrier Reef tours and is proud to receive a prestigious Hall of Fame certificate.
Best Of Queensland Experience
Both Ocean Safari and Safari Lodge once again received a perfect score of 100/100 as a 2023 Best of Queensland Experience! The Best of Queensland Experiences Program is an innovative program that guides the Queensland tourism industry to deliver exceptional customer experiences, create positive word of mouth, help attract more visitors, grow expenditure and increase market share. The program has been developed in partnership with the state’s Regional Tourism Organisations (RTOs), the Queensland Tourism Industry Council (QTIC) and the Department of Tourism, Innovation and Sport (DTIS). It identifies and recognises experiences that best bring the Queensland story to life and consistently deliver a high-quality visitor experience.
Ecotourism Australia Advanced Ecotourism
Ocean Safari received Advanced Eco Certification in 2009 for its Great Barrier Reef snorkelling tours. ECO Certification is a world first. It has been developed by industry for industry, addressing the need to identify genuine nature tourism and ecotourism products in Australia. Nature tourism and ecotourism experiences offer stimulating insights into Australia’s natural areas, leaving minimal impacts afterwards. Choosing a product that displays one of the three ECO Certification logos means you will enjoy an experience with a quality operator. Advanced Ecotourism operators are Australia’s leading and most innovative ecotourism products, providing an opportunity to learn about the environment with an operator who is committed to achieving best practice when using resources wisely, contributing to the conservation of the environment and helping local communities. Visit www.ecotourism.org.au
Green Travel Leader
Ocean Safari is acknowledged as a Green Travel Leader through Ecotourism Australia highlighting our extensive and ongoing commitment to conservation and sustainability.
- Tourism Tropical North Queensland: Ocean Safari is a proud member of TTNQ, the peak regional visitor destination marketing organisation for Tropical North Queensland, Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef. Visit www.cairnsgreatbarrierreef.org.au
- Tourism Port Douglas and Daintree: Ocean Safari is also a proud member of TTPD, the official tourism body for the Port Douglas, Daintree and Cape Tribulation region. Visit www.visitportdouglasdaintree.com.au
- Adventure Queensland: Queensland offers a multitude of activities and accommodation options for backpackers and Ocean Safari is a member of this organisation, which offers a wealth of information for any backpacker planning their Queensland experience.
- Queensland Tourism Industry Council (QTIC): This Queensland tourism body is a not for profit membership organisation representing members’ interests – both large and small, of which Ocean Safari is an active member.
- Association of Marine Park Tourism Operators (AMPTO): Ocean Safari is a member of the Association of Marine Park Tourism Operators, the peak industry body for marine tourism within the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park.
Eye On The Reef: Ocean Safari participates in the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority study, “Eye on the Reef “program. This monitoring program is the largest of its kind and relies on a strong relationship between The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority, marine tourism operators such as ourselves who conduct Great Barrier Reef tours and the reef research community. It is an ongoing exercise in collecting and documenting marine life, water temperatures and coral health. Visit Eye On The Reef.
Citizens of the Great Barrier Reef: We, the Citizens of the Reef, are determined to protect this unique natural wonder, but we need your support. Wherever you live in the world, get involved and make a difference: Become a Citizen of the Great Barrier Reef. As a visitor to the reef/region you have already taken the first step. Together we will raise awareness and drive change to secure the future of this breathtaking ecosystem for generations to come. Build the movement by engaging your community and friends; support local conservation efforts; learn about the Great Barrier Reef and its threats; and aspire to a lifestyle where the decisions you make at home serve to secure the future of the reef and our planet. We can’t wait for someone else to sort it out. Become a Citizen today at citizensgbr.org.
Permits – Great Barrier Reef snorkelling tours
Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority (GBRMPA): The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park protects and preserves the largest and richest system of coral reefs in the world. It incorporates most of Australia’s north-eastern continental shelf.. Ocean Safari has GBRMPA permits in order to visit the marine park on our daily Great Barrier Reef tours and each passenger pays an Environmental Management Charge (EMC) fee as part of the price of their fare. These fees are vitally important in the day-to-day management of the Marine Park and in improving its long-term resilience.